|Cumulative Update 2 for Exchange Server 2013 was released today by the Exchange Team (KB2859928). This update raises Exchange 2013 version number to 15.0.712.22.
Besides undisclosed bug fixes, this CU contains the following major changes:
· CU2 increases the maximum number of supported databases per server from 50 to 100 in the Enterprise Edition;
· Enables silent redirection for Outlook Web App (OWA) to 1) Exchange 2007 CAS servers when the mailbox is hosted on an Exchange 2007 mailbox server configured with a ExternalURL or 2) Exchange 2013 in a different site when a different ExternalURL is configured (e.g. alternative internet-facing site);
· Introduces the DAG Management Service which will offload monitoring and reporting from the Replication Service;
· Shifting several responders from per-server throttling to per-group throttling;
· Support for updating local help files using the cmdlet Update-ExchangeHelp;
· Improvements in OWA Search to indicate search hit locations;
· Introduction of *-MalwareFilterRule Cmdlets to apply custom malware policies to users, groups or domains.
Note that this Cumulative Update includes schema changes and that Cumulative Updates can be installed directly, i.e. no need to install RTM before installing the Cumulative Update. Also, once installed you can’t uninstall a CU nor any of the installed roles. The order of upgrading servers doesn’t matter, unlike with previous generations of Exchange.
As with any Hotfix, Rollup, Service Pack or Cumulative Update, I’d recommend to thoroughly test this in a test and acceptance environment first, prior to implementing it in production.
You can download Exchange 2013 Cumulative Update 2 here.